Welcome, beautypreneurs! Are you passionate about enhancing natural beauty and making eyes pop with fabulous lashes? Wondering how to start a lash business?
If so, you’ve come to the right place. Eyelash extensions have taken the beauty industry by storm, and starting your own lash business can be an exciting and rewarding venture.
The global eyelash extension market was valued at approximately $1.7 billion in 2019 and was projected to reach over $2.5 billion by 2027, with a compound annual growth rate of around 6.0% from 2020 to 2027.Grand View Research
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through each step of how to start your own lash business, from research and planning to marketing and expansion. Get ready to turn your love for lashes into a thriving business!
How to start a lash business
Research and Planning
Before diving headfirst into the eyelash extension industry, it’s essential to do your homework. Start by understanding the market and identifying your target audience for your eyelash business.
Who are your potential customers? What are their preferences, needs, and pain points?
Additionally, conduct a thorough competitor analysis to learn from established businesses and find your unique selling proposition (USP).
This USP will set you apart and help you carve out a niche in the market. Finally, set realistic goals and create a business plan to guide your eyelash business forward.
Carve your niche
When it comes to niche ideas within the eyelash extension industry, here are some options to consider:
- Specialty Lash Styles around viral trends: Focus on offering unique and specialized lash styles around trending eye looks on Tiktok or other social media platforms, such as the Fox Eye trend.
- Organic and Vegan Lashes: Cater to the growing demand for eco-friendly and cruelty-free products by offering organic and vegan lash extensions. Ensure that your lash products are made from sustainable materials and promote your commitment to ethical beauty.
- Lash Lift and Tint: Expand your services beyond lash extensions by specializing in lash lifts and tints. Lash lifts provide a semi-permanent curl to natural lashes, while tints add color and definition. This niche can attract clients who prefer a low-maintenance option or have sensitivities to lash extensions.
- Custom Eyelash Extensions: Offer personalized lash extensions tailored to each client’s unique eye shape, desired length, thickness, and curl. Providing a customized experience sets you apart and ensures that clients achieve their desired lash look.
- Lash Aftercare Products: Develop and sell your own line of lash aftercare products, such as gentle cleansers, conditioning serums, or lash-friendly mascaras. This niche allows you to provide comprehensive care to your clients and establish a recurring revenue stream.
- Mobile Lash Services: Offer on-location lash services, bringing the convenience of professional lash extensions directly to clients’ homes, offices, or event venues. This niche appeals to busy professionals, wedding parties, or individuals who prefer the privacy and comfort of their own space.
- Lash Extensions for Sensitive Eyes: Focus on catering to clients with sensitive eyes or those who have experienced allergies or irritations from traditional lash extensions. Use hypoallergenic adhesives and lightweight lash materials to ensure a comfortable and safe experience.
Remember, when choosing a niche, it’s important to consider the demand in your target market, your own expertise, and your passion for the niche.
Assess the competition and identify gaps or underserved segments to position yourself uniquely within the market. Conduct market research and engage with potential clients to validate the demand for your chosen niche before diving in.
Obtaining the Necessary Training and Certification
To provide exceptional service and build credibility, professional training and certification are vital.
Look for reputable training programs that cover the fundamentals of eyelash extensions, including application techniques, safety protocols, and proper hygiene practices.
Investing in continuous learning and skill development will keep you updated with the latest trends and industry best practices.
What are the most popular lash training programs?
Here are some of the most popular lash training programs
- Xtreme Lashes: Xtreme Lashes is a globally recognized brand and one of the pioneers in the eyelash extension industry. They offer comprehensive training programs that cover various lash techniques, business guidance, and ongoing support for lash professionals.
- Lash Affair Academy: Lash Affair Academy is known for its comprehensive training curriculum, which includes classic, volume, and mega volume lash techniques. They provide hands-on training, online courses, and mentorship opportunities for lash artists.
- NovaLash: NovaLash is another reputable lash training program that offers a range of courses, including classic lash extensions, advanced techniques, and lash lift training. They focus on proper lash application, safety, and the health of natural lashes.
- Lash BLVD: Lash BLVD provides comprehensive training programs for both classic and volume lash extensions. They emphasize proper technique, styling, and business strategies to help lash artists establish successful careers.
- Borboleta Beauty: Borboleta Beauty offers lash extension training programs that cover classic, volume, and advanced techniques. Their curriculum emphasizes lash health, styling, and the artistry of lash extensions.
- Sugarlash PRO: Sugarlash PRO is known for its high-quality lash products and training programs. They offer a range of courses, including classic, volume, and lash lift training, with an emphasis on skill development and creativity.
- The Lash Professional: The Lash Professional provides lash extension training programs that cover classic and volume techniques. They focus on hands-on practice, personalized instruction, and ongoing support for lash artists.
Acquiring Essential Equipment and Supplies
Equipping your lash studio with the right tools and lash supplies is crucial for delivering high-quality service in the eyelash business.
Here are a few well-known and respected suppliers that are often recommended within the lash industry:
- Glad Lash: Glad Lash is a reputable supplier that offers a wide range of lash extension tools, including tweezers, lash adhesives, lash trays, and aftercare products. They are known for their quality products and have been serving the lash industry for over 30 years.
- Lash Tavern: Lash Tavern provides a variety of lash extension supplies, including tweezers, lash adhesives, lash trays, and lash accessories. They are known for their high-quality products and have a loyal following among lash professionals.
- Sugarlash PRO: Sugarlash PRO is a well-known brand that offers a comprehensive range of lash extension products, including tweezers, adhesives, lash trays, and lash cleansers. They are known for their attention to detail and commitment to quality.
- LashArt: LashArt is a trusted supplier of lash extension tools and products, offering a wide range of options for lash artists. They provide tweezers, lash adhesives, lash trays, and other accessories known for their durability and performance.
- Borboleta Beauty: Borboleta Beauty is a respected supplier in the lash industry, offering a range of high-quality lash extension tools and products. They provide tweezers, adhesives, lashes, and other essentials known for their reliability and effectiveness.
- Novalash: Novalash is a renowned lash brand that offers a selection of lash extension tools and products. Their product range includes tweezers, adhesives, lash trays, and other essentials known for their quality and consistency.
Additionally, consider reaching out to fellow lash artists or industry professionals for recommendations based on their experiences. You can pick up on how to start a lash extension business faster by hearing from first-hand experience!
Establishing Your Business Legally
Once you’re ready to transform your lash dreams into a business reality, it’s essential to handle the legalities.
I’ll walk you through the essentials of setting up your business legally, so you can focus on helping your clients achieve the perfect flutter. Let’s dive in!
Choose a Business Entity:
First and foremost, you’ll need to decide on the structure of your business. The right business entity for you depends on your goals and personal preferences.
The most common options are sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company (LLC), and corporation.
Each has its pros and cons, so be sure to do your research and choose the one that suits your needs best.
Keep in mind that an LLC can help protect you from personal liability, ensuring your personal assets stay safe in case of any legal issues.
Obtain Necessary Licenses and Permits:
Next, you’ll want to secure the required business licenses and permits for your eyelash extensions business.
This typically includes a general business license, which you can obtain from your local city or county government office.
Additionally, as an eyelash extension professional, you’ll need an esthetician license. This involves completing an approved esthetician program and passing a state board exam. The requirements vary by state, so be sure to check with your state’s licensing board for specifics.
Protect Yourself with Liability Insurance:
No one wants to think about accidents or mishaps, but it’s essential to be prepared. Liability insurance is a must-have for your eyelash extension business.
It protects you from potential lawsuits and claims that may arise from clients who experience allergic reactions, infections, or other issues related to your services.
By having liability insurance in place, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that you’re covered in case something goes wrong.
Keep Personal and Business Finances Separate:
To protect yourself from being personally liable for any business-related debts, it’s crucial to keep your personal and business finances separate. Open a business bank account and consider applying for a business credit card. This will not only help you keep track of your expenses, but it’ll also make tax time a breeze.
Keep your business finances and business expenses in order with Quickbooks Self Employed.
Register Your Business:
Last but not least, register your eyelash extension business with the appropriate government authorities. This usually involves registering your business name and obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Your EIN is essential for tax purposes and helps you establish a clear separation between your personal and business finances.
And there you have it! By following these steps, you’ll be well on your way to launching your legally legit eyelash extension business. It’s a labor of love, but the satisfaction of helping clients look and feel their best is worth every ounce of effort.
Building an Effective Brand
Branding plays a pivotal role in attracting and retaining clients.
Define Your Own Eyelash Brand Identity:
Your brand is more than just a logo – it’s the essence of your eyelash extension services and how they’re perceived by others.
Take the time to consider what sets your own business apart from other lash businesses.
Is it your exceptional technique? Or maybe it’s your commitment to using only high-quality, cruelty-free products?
Whatever it may be, let that unique selling point shine through in your branding. Craft a compelling mission statement and brand story that resonates with your target audience.
Develop a strong brand identity by choosing a memorable name and designing a captivating logo.
Design Eye-Catching Marketing Materials:
From business cards to flyers, your marketing materials should be cohesive and reflect your brand’s identity.
This not only helps build a professional image but also attracts more customers to your eyelash extension services. Remember to include your logo, contact information, and a clear call-to-action in your marketing materials.
Establish Your Online Business
Presence: In today’s digital world, having an online presence is essential for any lash business.
Create a visually appealing website and establish a vibrant presence on social media platforms to showcase your work, interact with potential clients, and share valuable content.
Leverage online marketing strategies to reach your desired audience effectively.
Setting Up Your Workspace
Creating a relaxing atmosphere is paramount for any successful lash business.
Choose a location that is convenient for your target clientele, whether it’s a lash salon in a rented space or a home-based studio.
Pay attention to the interior design, ensuring it reflects your brand and creates a serene atmosphere. Choose a luxe, comfortable chair for your clients to spend the next few hours in.
Remember to adhere to health and safety regulations in your lash salon, implementing proper sanitation protocols and maintaining a clean and organized workspace.
Developing Pricing and Service Packages
Determining your pricing structure is a critical decision that affects your profitability and clientele. If you want to have a successful lash business, you gotta get pricing right.
Conduct a thorough pricing analysis, considering factors such as material costs, time required for each service, and market rates.
Offer different service packages to cater to various client preferences and budgets.
Implement a strategic pricing strategy that aligns with your brand positioning and remains competitive in the market.
Marketing and Promoting Your Business
To attract a steady flow of clients, effective marketing yourself as a lash artist is essential. Utilize social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook to showcase your work, engage with followers, and build a community.
Implement digital marketing techniques such as search engine optimization (SEO), paid advertising, and email marketing to expand your reach.
Consider collaborating with local businesses and influencers in your area to increase your visibility and reach a wider audience.
Don’t overlook traditional marketing methods either—flyers, brochures, or local magazine ads can still be effective in targeting local clientele.
Providing Exceptional Customer Service
Exceptional customer service is the heart and soul of any successful business. Create a warm and professional atmosphere for your clients, making them feel comfortable and valued.
Implement effective communication channels and appointment management systems to ensure smooth interactions and scheduling.
Always prioritize client satisfaction by addressing any concerns promptly and going the extra mile to exceed their expectations.
Encourage customer feedback and testimonials to showcase your commitment to providing top-notch service.
Expanding Your Business
Once you’ve established a solid foundation, it’s time to consider expanding your lash empire.
Explore opportunities for growth, such as introducing additional services like lash lifts, tinting, or retailing lash-related products.
Consider forming partnerships or collaborations with complementary businesses, such as salons or beauty boutiques, to tap into new clientele.
Continuously track and analyze key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure your success and make informed decisions for future growth.
Congratulations on embarking on the exciting journey of starting your own eyelash extension business!
By following this guide, you’ll be well-prepared to navigate the industry’s ins and outs and be your own boss. Remember, success in this field requires passion, dedication, and continuous learning.
Stay up to date with the latest techniques and trends, and never underestimate the power of exceptional customer service.
With a strong brand, top-quality products, and a commitment to client satisfaction, your new lash business is poised for greatness. So, go ahead and let your entrepreneurial spirit soar as you create a beautiful world, one lash at a time!